Thursday 15 December 2011

My ultimate Christmas geek themed wish list...


So it’s the time of year where people are asking me what I want for Christmas. This is a really hard question, there are many things I want none of which I ever feel comfortable asking for. May be it’s because I am too polite, maybe it’s because without some kind of price guides I feel cheeky no matter what the cost may be. This year, too make things a little easier, I decided to create an Amazon wish list and found myself filling it with graphic novels. Not that this is a bad thing, they are reasonably priced and I would never tire of receiving them, but my lovely husband said I should be a bit more adventurous.  So I started browsing and OMG there is so much stuff I want, unfortunately it mostly falls into the ‘need to be some kind of millionaire to justify paying that’ category.  

So instead of moping around angry at the world because despite us both working full time I can’t afford the things I want, I thought I'd disperse my frustration by sharing my hearts desire with you guys. That way should a kind hearted generous millionaire wish to surprise me with my ideal gift they know exactly what I want.

Just to clarify these pick are related to the theme of geek, that’s what would make me happiest , though a new house with say, 4 bedrooms, indoor pool, home theatre and custom built gaming room wouldn’t go amiss.

So lets kick off with a simple and most know fact about me - I love Wonder Woman since being a small child spinning around to the full grown adult comic collector I am today.  So here are just a couple of my picks for a Wonder Woman fan.





This particular statue I favour because I believe it to be one of the most beautiful renderings I have seen. At a cool £99.85 from Amazon it is certainly out of my reach whilst my children are young. Unfortunately clothing and feeding children is a statutory requirement so most of my funds are focused there. This piece would, indeed, have pride of place on my mantelpiece and I’m pretty sure seeing it everyday would instill me with a sense of confidence only an amazon can invoke.




  
This piece of original comic art by Ed Benes is a dream purchase for a fan like me available for £599.99 from Reedcomics.com. Though its origin isn't clear, the website suggests it may be from a Justice League collectible card, I would still snap it up in an instant and hang it proudly in my (as yet non-existent) comic art gallery. Here is a link should any of you wish to steal it away from. Not that I can ever picture having that kind of money, but I'll keep buying the lottery tickets cos you never know.

             

Okay so this one may not be completely out of my reach (£16.99) and I am sure one generous relative may one day buy this, but I've just come across them and realised I can't actually get them in the UK without paying an extortionate delivery charge. Which is something that annoys me why can't we get the same merchandise as is available in the USA. I pay my money for my comics, I go to the pictures to watch my heroes on the silver screen, so why can't have have the same merchandise to waste my hard earned pennies on!

Anyway, breath, classic X-Men what's not to love? good ol' Jean, Beast before he turned blue, Cyclops before he turned into a huge douche (once again, still a little bitter 'bout the whole Emma Frost affair) and Iceman before...well Iceman. 

 Next up Tenth Doctor Coat
There are not many people I know who are not aware of my deep and ever lasting love for the 10th Doctor, David Tennant did it for me so perfectly. Whilst I am still a massive fan I find it hard to believe that I will ever enjoy a regeneration of the Doctor as much I did 10. This would also look awesome along side the life size cutout my lovely hubby got for me. 

£203ish is a lot for a coat that I am pretty sure would look ridiculous on me due to my short stature. Still there would be nothing to stop me running around the house sonicing everything as I go. All I would want next is a Rose Tyler jacket and me the the other half can roleplay to our hearts content. Just to point out I would be wearing the Rose Tyler jacket and him the Doctors, we don't gender reverse roleplay or anything.
And now for a piece of classic geek memorbilia.
Spock's badass tunes  or, more accurately, Star Trek Original Series Vulcan Lute Prop Replica. At a whooping $2,009.99 its some serious collectors item and most definately a talking point. Just imagine some hipster dude you are ashamed to  know, stops by and whips out his acoustic guitar and starts jamming, you confidently produce your alien lute and blow his hipster mind. Of course you would have to learn to play it first, but it would be so worth it. Plus how hard can it be? 


  A few options from Firebox, who, I have recently discovered, have a large range of expensive geek related items in their WTF?! department. 

1. Replica Dalek - £3,496 Again a classic piece of sci fi history first appearing in 1963 and something my son is terrified of so this would come in very handy during the months of the year that the threat of Father Christmas watching doesn't work.


  
2. Fuck yeah a Batmobile! - £120,000 is probably a steal considering the amount Batman must have paid to build his. Granted this probably doesn't come with any of the awesome offensive and defensive tech Batmans has, but there is nothing to stop you having ago at fitting a drawing pin trap on the back or may be a makeshift ejector seat. Please note: I do not accept any liability should some unqualified dumbass try and do this and get themselves maimed or killed. 





 3. Freaking awesome Bat Mirror to match your batmobile. I think this is a classy piece. Not obvious or in your face, wouldn't look out of place above your mantle piece yet sends a message to your visitors about you. Mainly you're a mega geek who would spend £399.99 on mirror with the Batman logo. 


Evil cat not included

There are many many more items on Firebox which I believe are the ultimate geek must haves, including Class M-3 Model B9 General Utility Non-Theorizing Environmental Control Robot  of Lost in Space fame. Not sure where one would keep it but I guess if you can afford to buy it at £25,500 you can afford to buy the mansion required to store all this stuff. Also what lair would be complete without one of these babies, a good old fashioned Bond style Villains Chair for £4,500. You'd have to get your own white pussycat and sharks with fricking laserbeams and don't ask Seaworld, they don't approve.


At the last minute I found this and couldn't let it go without a mention 'cos you know he wouldn't.  A must have for any comic lover to have as pride of place on their desk. The Deadpool 6 Inch Pencil Cup Desk Accessory currently priced at £97.99 from Forbidden Planet. I believe the anti-hero himself would approve of this handy yet cool pencil holder.






So there it is my first few picks of stuff I can't afford but desperately want. I guess not all the options will be completely out of my reach forever, one day the kids will grow (fingers crossed) leave to start their own geekdom (fingers crossed), may be then just may be I might get my hands on a Batmobile. Up until that point lottery tickets it is, it's good to have a dream and many of these items fufill those dreams, you may call me materialistic but if I'm happy with love, family and friends what else do I dream of? Things! lots and lots of things!

No comments:

Post a Comment