Thursday 29 December 2011

Damn right Riley! Toys are for everyone!

This is a smart little girl who speaks the absolute truth.



 Christmas has taught me that all the cool stuff I would wish to own is aimed at boys. Even down to the Doctor Who toys, why are these in the so called 'Boys Toys' aisle. Isn't Who aimed everyone, young and old, male and female? Action scenes, love stories and feel good is not gender specific. 

I also think the toy retailers way of thinking has ruined my superhero merchandise purchasing ability. I am a girl and will admit that my favourite superheroes tend to be women, or couples. That's my personal preference and one I have seemed to pass onto my daughter,  so when I go to the toy shop to find toys featuring these heroes I am mostly disappointed on every occasion. I can find you one of everything featuring Batman or Ironman, Spiderman or Superman but can I find a Wonder Woman themed scooter, no, my daughter gets Hello Kitty.

WHY IS IT PINK?
My children have both been brought up and a hearty diet of superhero canon, I have always encouraged them both to play with whatever they want. I get the greatest joy from seeing them run round the house as Storm and Batman, they have no issue with Marvel/DC crossovers, or adventuring through time and space as The Doctor and  his companion. Why stifle any of this creativity with colour. Maddie asked for a Supergirl dressing up costume a couple of years ago, so I researched what I could get and found a pink one!? WHY? Supergirl is blue and red, why does there need to be a pink version?

I have realised that once my daughter started school she became aware of what 'society' expected of her. Before school she had never heard of High School musical, within months she was asking for merchandise and singing the songs. Whilst this made me a little sad I soon realised we had brought her up balanced, she may play mermaids at school but at home she is always a hero. She has learnt a sad lesson about the way the world works, sometimes you just gotta fit in, but at home you can be anything you want to be.

Seeing this little girl get so annoyed with the gender stereotyping displayed in toy stores makes me smile and want to yell "Damn right!" So I will leave you with this:

Imagination should not be limited by colour. Toys are for everyone! Go forth and create!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment