Sunday 20 November 2011

London Expo and Comic Con October 2011 - I met Gail Simone

I wanted to share one of my most geek out experiences. On the 29th of October my husband and I attended the London Expo & Comic Con. It was unlike anything I had attended before, I'd been to Collectormania and seen a few cosplayers but this time it blew my mind. It just so happened that it was also the Euro Cosplay finals so this somewhat explained the overwhelming numbers if wacky and wonderful characters.

One of the reasons I was particulary excited to attend was because one of my favourite comicbook writers was there to sign.  Gail Simone - writer of Wonder Woman (my personal favourite) Birds of Prey, Secret Six, the new Batgirl run and many more. 

So on the Saturday we set off bright and early. I made it very clear to Scott that we were going to find Gail Simone before we did anything else. Arriving there we head straight for the comic area of the Expo. An area I was a little disappointed in to be honest. From the write up I expected it to be a huge event, however compared to the rest of the Expo the comic con was relatively small.


I could find no reference to where Gail would be signing. I must admit slight panic set in the thought of completely missing it and ending up in a never ending queue got my stress levels rising. Then there was a man, not just any man, a man with the badge round his neck and a beard. So I asked him "Do you know where Gail Simon will be signing" and he said "right here, I'm setting it up, you can be the first"


OH YEAH No.1 in the line, this normally only happens at buffets. Here is a pic of me no.1 in the queue and that beardy bloke in the background is the bloke I mentioned a moment ago..




We waited about 40 mins but it was worth it, I got to chatting with fellow fans and soon realised I hadn't brought nearly enough comics to get signed. I didn't want to overload the poor woman but it would seem fellow fanatics did not have the same worry. Ah well, I was grateful for what I got signed though. Some pics of me and Gail (and her lovely husband).




She was lovely, her husband commented on my awesome Wonder Woman t-shirt (which I got her to sign and subsequently can never wear again) and she commented that she liked my purple hair. She took her time to sign her name and finish the Wonder Woman signings off with a little red star. Such detail. Here is me with one of my signed comics.




So that was my most enjoyable part of the expo. I may share some more of my photos next time.


I would like to add another highlight. My husband and I were stood by a bin, not sure why, think we were just resting our very tired feet. When I heard a welsh accent say "Brilliant T-shirt, love the hair colour" and as I turned to say thank you it turnedout to be none other then Eve Myles (Gwen Cooper from Torchwood) she was being hurried along by expo staff but gave me a beautiful smile. It's a shame I couldn't stop her and get an autograph but still an awesome thing to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment