Thursday 24 November 2011

A cunning hat!

My mum made me a cunning hat! Jayne Cobb's to be exact from the most excellent series Firefly (bring it back! bring it back!) The episode in which we meet the hat is 'The Message' and in world of geek this simple winter wear has become sci-fi legend. 

"How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don'tchya think?" ~ Jayne 

Well having recently attended a comic con in London, Scott and I began to talk about how we must cosplay next time. We batted around a few ideas for each of us. At the same time (for dramatic purposes) my mum had decided to take up knitting once again. She began to knit our daughter a variety of animal shaped wool hats. This is when my husband requested a Jayne Cobb hat. A character he could easily cosplay, don't shave for a while, buy a fake gun and some boots and he is all sorted.

So we tried to explain the entire concept and history of the series and its multiverse, then decided some basic googling was probably easier and found a pattern. Bless my lovely mum she went to the effort of ordering some Icelandic wool (but don't tell my dad) One week
later my husband has a Jayne hat. I was totally jealous it was awesome. The sweetest thing is that she had been reading up on the whole hat saga and was telling me about Jayne's mum. 

It didn't take long before I demanded my own, its only fair and with winter on its way I could do with some warm head coverage. This time it only took her three days, I have requested two more and now beginning to wonder what other sci-fi/geek themed head wear she can make me. I've requested a Dalek and may be a pikachu and probably many more. Anyway here is a pic of me in my hat. I know you're all totally envious of my awesome hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment